Brunch at The Dead Rabbit

Summer always seems to just fly by so quickly. I read something the other day that said that the reason it seems like time goes by much quicker when you're older is because the ratio of let's say, one minute, to the time you've been alive gets smaller and smaller. It makes sense. I mean, the limit of 1/x as x is 0. Sorry, is that too much math? Anyway, every summer, I feel that little pang of nostalgia when I think about kids going back to (or starting) university. I miss the hectic runs to Target to pick up a new loofah and shower flip flops. I miss trying to cram everything into the car and freaking out when the garbage bag holding my comforter tears. I miss being cool and fresh and young. But, what I miss most of all is living in a community of my peers and hanging out with my friends basically every day. These days, every hangout with a friend is extra precious because it has to be scheduled and planned and takes more effort to execute.

We had barely seen each other at all this summer (despite making lofty plans to go to the beach and visit museums) so last weekend I met up with D in the city for a little girlie bonding time. I left my car at a parking garage in Harrison and hopped on the Path going to WTC and then walked down to meet her by the Charging Bull. Then, we walked around Battery Park and then headed to a supremely delicious brunch at The Dead Rabbit in FiDi.
The weather was super gorgeous. A few days before, it was humid and nasty but then a big rain came through in time to give us a supreme weekend.

The walk down towards Battery Park was super lovely. The sun was shining but there was a refreshing breeze and I stopped by to say hello to the money makers.
We decided to meet by the Charging Bull, just because we thought it would be an easy place to spot each other. Unfortunately, I hadn't given any thought to the hoards of tourists surrounding the bull. Fortunately, I was wearing a bright yellow dress so D spotted me pretty quickly.
When we got to Battery Park, we went to take a peek at the new carousel. The SeaGlass Carousel is super cute. If you have kids, I recommend a visit. We didn't actually go in (because the line was too long and hello, we're old) but we had fun watching the fishes spinning around.


Then, we walked down to the water to say hello to Lady Liberty.
After a little sitting and chatting, we followed our rumbling tummies a few blocks over to The Dead Rabbit.
The name may be off-putting to some, but it's a nod to one of the former gangs of New York. I mean, Leo was a dead rabbit, so it's cool.

It's a super casual establishment with three floors. On Saturdays and Sundays they serve brunch only on the first floor. The other floors open up a little later for Sunday roast (which on this particular sunday was a prime rib roast which sounded super delicious). The food here is outstanding and the booze selection is rather vast. I definitely recommend a trip down. Even if you're not in the area, it's so good that you should go out of your way to get here.
D ordered the pork belly sliders which were so cute. Each crispy piece of pork belly was topped off with an adorable quail egg and they were sandwiched between pillowy soft buns. The pork was so good. It was crazy unctuous and decadent and D said three sliders was a perfect serving.
I went for the scotch egg. The egg was perfectly cooked with a runny yolk, exactly the way I like it. The sausage surrounding the egg was deliciously salty and the breading was super crisp. I need to try and make one of these at home.
We also shared an order of truffle chips which came with a yummy garlic mayo, curry aioli, and ketchup. The fries were seriously truffle-y and the dipping sauces were great.
After our savory brunch, we walked north towards Soho and went to Financier Patisserie for a little sugar.
I had a giant hazelnut macaron with an iced chai tea latte.
Then, D walked me back to WTC where we said our goodbyes and headed our separate ways. All in all, a beautifully fun and relaxing Sunday afternoon.
xoxo.

Comments