Halloween 2013

Happy Halloween! The past two years, Halloween in this area has been ruined by natural disasters. Two years ago, we had a major snow storm and last year, Hurricane Sandy blew in and took away all of the children's candy. This year though, Mama Nature decided to let us have some fun.

My sister and I decided to be Louise and Tina Belcher (respectively). We made our costumes, of course. I say "of course" because we're cheap-os and we don't like to spend a lot of money on something we'll wear once.

I'm sharing how I made my Tina wig. Posting a DIY today is a little bit useless because it's Halloween already so even if I share this, will you have the time to make it? Actually, it's a pretty easy project so maybe you can make it. Whatever, I'm sharing it because maybe you can save it for next year.
You'll need:
4 pieces of black felt (8.5" x 11")
scissors
needle
black thread
tacky glue
yellow paper
And this is how you'll want to cut out your felt. It's a really boxy "wig" if you can even call it that, but it's pretty comfortable and easy. The middle top piece is for the back of the head, the two side pieces are for the sides (duh), and that lumpy bit is the front bangs.


Then, just sew it all together.
The three big pieces get sewn together completely. I mean, not on all sides, but the cut sides get sewn to the other cut sides, if that makes sense.
To make sure there isn't a gaping hole in the top, you have to gather the felt together. Fold the top of the back piece in half and sew each half to the adjacent piece. Oh my gosh, I feel like I'm not explaining this v. well. I should have documented it better. Hopefully the photo below is decent enough.
Then, just sew the bangs to the front to bring it all together.
The finishing touch is to glue a little yellow rectangle to the right side of the wig. Tina wears a little yellow hair barrette.
And then try the wig on for size, in a dirty mirror. The wig was nice and roomy for my head, which was perfect because I had a lot of hair to hide underneath.
Here I am with my sister. Don't we look cute?
Tina lays on the floor and whines a lot so we took a few photos with me like this:
Fun, right? This year, instead of buying a giant assorted bag of candy and picking out the Twix and Kit-Kats and M&Ms for myself and giving away all of the peanutty candies (I'm allergic), I just bought a bag of Twix, Kit-Kats, and pretzel M&Ms. The only problem with this situation is that if we get a lot of trick-or-treaters, I'm going to have a hard time giving away my favorite candies. I'm selfish.
I hope everyone has a safe and fun Halloween! GM-dressed-as-a-goat wants you to have a happy Halloween too!
Cheers!

Comments