My Electricity is Back!

Yesterday morning, I made myself some buttermilk pancakes and sausage and heard a beeping outside. And hooray, it was a JCP&L truck! They worked on the lines near my house for half an hour and then drove off. Disappointingly, the power wasn't restored, but about an hour later, I heard this "droooooooom" sound in my house and realized it was our refrigerators (we have two) humming rather loudly. I checked the lights in my room by flicking the switch on and off a few times and realized that yes, the power was restored to our street.

So thank you, JCP&L electricians who are working overtime around the clock to restore power to New Jersey. Living an entire week without power wasn't as terrible as I imagined it to be; after all, I survived. I attribute most of that to the fact that I was able to charge my iPhone and iPad at work so that I wasn't completely bored at home. I read a bunch of books on iBooks and did some outfit planning for Puerto Rico. It was definitely cold at night but I just layered on some fleece sweatpants over my yoga pants and wore a long-sleeve t-shirt under a sherpa-lined sweatshirt, doubled up on blankets, and cuddled with my dog, George Michael, and made it through each night.

Unfortunately, there are still plenty of people without power and many people whose homes were destroyed. Here are some links to donation sites:
Donate Blood - NJ and NY

Also, in the wake of all of this hullabaloo, tomorrow is election day. Celebrate democracy (or the polluted version that's been shaped in the past few decades by pushy politics) and patriotism and vote, if you are old enough. Tomorrow is my second election ever, where I am eligible to vote, and my first election where I'm not voting through an absentee ballot. I'm pretty pumped because I think voting is so meaningful and I really dislike when people say, "your vote doesn't really count, electoral college, blahblahblah." The fact that I am allowed to vote is great, in and of itself.

Comments