Electronics on the Beach (Take 2)

With my upcoming trip to Provo, I've been doing a lot of research on underwater goodies like cameras and cases for my phone and money.

I've been looking at disposable underwater cameras.
Fujifilm Quick Snap Waterproof 35mm Single Use Camera 
It's a great idea because if it gets lost or stolen or damaged, who cares? It's cheap. I learned that lesson when our snorkeling photos from Hawaii were stolen (more specifically, the bag they were kept in was stolen). However, it does make me sad to think I might be losing precious memories and you never know if this camera is working or not. What if all of the photos you take are duds and then you spend a good $25 to get them developed? That's quite a waste of money... Hence, I'm thinking about my digital options.


Instead of spending $50+ on a cheap, not-so-great underwater camera, I'm considering buying this case for my digital camera:
Polaroid Dive-Rated Waterproof Camera Housing 
Most cases fit a variety of cameras and if it doesn't fit yours, keep looking because there are plenty of other cases out there. I am quite nervous about endangering my pricey Nikon (that I scored a deal on during Black Friday 2010) but if I do decide to buy this, I'll definitely send it through some extensive testing before I actually use it.

I'll probably stuff it full of tissues and then dunk it in a swimming pool and see how the tissues fare. I only plan on using it for snorkeling so I don't need to test its depth tolerance, just its water tightness.

I also want something to put my iPhone in so that I can take it with me when I snorkel. I'm worried that if I leave it on the beach, someone will steal it!
Dicapac WP-i10 Waterproof case for iPhone 4 or 3G/3GS 
I like this because you can still use your phone while underwater which is cool. I have the same worry about ruining my iPhone as I do with ruining my camera with the product mentioned above so again, extensive testing will be conducted if I decide on this product.

I'm also considering getting a second one and just using my old iPhone (3GS) in this thing as my underwater camera (instead of risking my Nikon) so that if it does get ruined, both my iPhone 4S and digital camera are still happy and functional.

It comes in a variety of colors.

Lastly, I want something to keep my goods afloat. If I happen to get clumsy and drop something, I don't want it to sink to the bottom of the ocean and be lost forever.
Samsung PSF9W1E Floating Strap
Pretty much every strap has mixed reviews because many people say it's too big for their wrists and that it falls off and floats away but I don't care. I just need a little insurance to make sure that I don't lose anything to King Neptune in the sea forever.

Personally, I wouldn't be like the negative reviewers and strap this floating thing around my wrist. Instead, I'd wrap the strap that's attached to my camera/phone/underwater wallet/what have you to my wrist and then let this floating thing just float. After all, it's just insurance! NOT a guarantee. And I'd rather be attached to the important expensive thing and not the strap.

As far as things like money and credit cards, I think I'll be perfectly content just putting that stuff in a ziploc bag. All that stuff can be restored to tip top shape by just letting it dry off in the sunlight if the bag fails and floods.

Comments